Mexican food is the best, and these Amazing Stacked Enchiladas have won a special place in my heart. I have tried a lot of enchilada recipes through the years, and this one is just… Amazing. I love the white sauce creaminess in lieu of a red enchilada sauce. The green chiles give it a great spice. And stacking the layers instead of trying to roll corn tortillas just makes sense.
Another nice thing about this recipe is that it can be made gluten free. Simply use the gluten-free casserole sauce mix recipe instead of the chicken or beef flavored recipes (which use bouillon), and make sure to use corn tortillas and not switch to flour tortillas, and you’re set.
Links to the various sauce recipe options:
Amazing Stacked Enchiladas
- 1/2 c dry casserole sauce mix*
- 1 c water
- 1 c chicken broth or beef broth
- 1 c sour cream
- 1/2 c diced green chiles or canned tomatoes with green chiles
- 1-2 c cooked ground beef or chicken
- 1 T taco seasoning
- 9 corn tortillas
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, washed and thinly sliced
- Combine dry casserole sauce mix and water, whisking well. Microwave for 3 minutes and stir; continue microwaving at 1 minute intervals until sauce is thick. (See link in post for recipe for this mix)
- Add broth, sour cream, and chiles to mixture and combine well.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine and warm the cooked beef or chicken and taco seasoning
- Heat a non stick pan and spray with non stick spray or add a swirl of olive oil. Warm the corn tortillas until very slightly browned.
- In an 8" square pan or 9" pie plate, build layers of sauce, tortillas, seasoned meat, and cheese. Use 3 tortillas on each of 3 layers, with 2 meat layers between them. I like the sauce on the bottom and the top, but you can layer it however you want.Add a final topping of cheese and chopped green onions.
- Cover with foil and heat in oven about 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly.