Cheesy Potatoes have been a hit in our family for many occasions. They’re a great prep-ahead side dish. Or you can make it a main dish casserole by adding a cup or two of ham cubes.
This recipes uses Casserole Sauce Mix, my go-to whenever a canned cream soup is a recipe ingredient. I keep three versions on hand: Chicken Casserole Sauce Mix, Beef Casserole Sauce Mix, and Gluten Free Casserole Sauce Mix. For this recipe, I would use either the Chicken flavor or Gluten Free type.
- 1 pound frozen hash brown potatoes, shredded
- 12 oz casserole sauce mix (see additional recipe) (or 1 can of cream of mushroom soup)
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 c cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cooked ham chunks, optional
- 1 c cornflakes, crushed
- 2 T butter, melted
- Prepare the casserole sauce mix as directed on recipe. (Combine powdered mix with water and microwave until thick and creamy.)
- In a large bowl, combine hash browns, sauce mix, sour cream, cheese, and ham chunks if desired. Stir to combine.
- Spoon into a large casserole dish and smooth into all of the corners.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Prepare crushed cornflakes and melt butter and combine the two.
- Uncover casserole, sprinkle the cornflake crumbs in butter all over the top, and return to oven uncovered for additional 15 minutes.
I like adding ham cubes to these cheesy potatoes and rounding out the meal with green beans, steamed with minced onion.