Since I can’t make Cherry Mash this year (haven’t found chips ANYwhere!), I resorted to Cherry Kiss Cookies the other day. They’re a maraschino cherry-flavored shortbread with a special chocolate treat on top.
Cherry Kiss Cookies with an emphasis on Kiss!
The recipe is similar to Russian Tea Cakes in that it’s basically butter, powdered sugar, and flour with flavorings. No egg, no rising agent, just a simple butter cookie that needs to be baked til ever so slightly browned on the edges.
The highlight of baking these would be unwrapping just enough Hershey kisses (or maybe a few too many) to press into each cookie right when they come out of the oven. If available, I recommend the cherry cordial kisses, or dark chocolate, with milk chocolate being a third option. Hershey’s Hugs would even be good on this cookie. I mean, chocolate, right?
It’s as simple as stirring up a quick dough, rolling into balls, and baking. Be sure to bake long enough! My impatience with baking and worries that I’ll burn something has taught me many lessons through the years. Patience is key! Let them get just the tiniest bit brown before pulling them out and planting those kisses into place. Again, I went a little short, and mine have a bit of a doughy taste. They’re so much better when crisped up right! This is true for the Russian Tea Cakes, also, as well as Cherry Chip Cookies and Valentine Cherry Tart Cookies.
Cherry Kiss Cookies
- 1 c butter or margarine, softened
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 t maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 t almond extract
- 6 drops red food coloring
- 2 1/4 c flour
- 1/2 c maraschino cherries chopped
- 24-40 Hershey's Kisses unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a mixing bowl, combine butter, powdered sugar, and salt and mix with electric mixer until smooth
- Add cherry juice, extracts, and food coloring and continue mixing
- Add flour gradually, and then stir in cherries
- Roll dough into 1" balls and onto baking sheets
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until they are just barely beginning to turn brown
- Unwrap Kisses. Eat one or two. Give someone you love a kiss. Either kind.
- Remove from oven and immediately press one Kiss into the center of each cookie. It will bloom outward and the edges may crack a bit, and that is okay
I have yet to make these cookies… Maybe a Valentine ❤️ treat this year.