Grilled Cheese gets a makeover with this Fancy Grilled Cheese Sandwich, great for lunch on the deck on that first warm Spring day and all Summer long. Grab yourself a basil plant from the grocery store or get some seeds growing and enjoy this alternative to the usual grilled cheese.
Pesto isn’t just for pasta. It’s tasty on salmon or to use as a spread like on this sandwich. If you don’t have access to fresh basil, go ahead and find a favorite prepared pesto at your grocery store.
How to assemble a Fancy Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Pesto
- Butter your favorite sandwich bread on one side. Build your sandwich onto the UNbuttered side.
- Place a slice of your favorite cheese (provolone or havarti, anyone?) onto one piece of bread.
- Spread a couple tablespoons of prepared pesto onto the other piece of bread.
- Add a couple tomato slices on top of the pesto.
- Stack together to make a sandwich, with the buttered side facing out.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over a stove burner and grill your sandwich over medium heat until golden brown. Flip over, grill ’til golden, and serve it up with fresh veggies and Dill Vegetable Dip or Pear Nut Salad.
Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 c basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 T pine nuts can sub walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1/4 c parmesan cheese grated
- salt and pepper
- Remove basil leaves from stems, wash, and dry.
- Place leaves into food processor with garlic, salt, and pepper
- Process until smooth. Scrape down sides into bowl of processor.
- Add nuts and process again, while drizzling oil in through top opening (if available). Continue adding oil until pesto is a spreadable consistency.
- Pesto can be used as a spread on sandwiches, tossed with pasta, or spread onto bread dough and rolled.