Nothing says Summertime like Beans Beans Beans! And this pot luck worthy recipe has three times the beans to make a hearty side to go with anything grilled.
Green beans, pork n beans, and kidney beans are the stars of this saucy, sweet side dish. Supporting roles played by the added beef and bacon crumbles make this a perfect next-day lunch all by itself.
This slow cooked recipe has been a favorite at an annual family reunion picnic we have with my husband’s cousins. It can also be simmered stovetop or covered and baked in the oven.
The amounts called for in the recipe can be adjusted according to your taste. Easily double it for a larger gathering. Add in some pinto beans in addition to the kidney beans. Enjoy this combination and the sweet sauciness of Beans Beans Beans!
Beans Beans Beans
- 2 cans (15 oz) Pork N Beans
- 1 can (15 oz) Cut Green Beans drained
- 1 can (15 oz) Kidney or Pinto Beans drained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup ketchup or 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 pound hamburger browned with onion
- 1/2 pound bacon cooked and crumbled
- Brown the hamburger or pull a portion of cooked hamburger from your freezer. Add some diced onion and shakes of salt and pepper to your beef when browning it.
- Bake the bacon strips: Line up strips of bacon (one pound in in two 9x13 pans) and bake uncovered in 350° oven for 30 minutes. Remove pans, use tongs to flip each strip of bacon, and return to oven for 20 minutes. Check bacon every 5 minutes to ensure all of the fat is rendered and the pieces are getting crisp. Remove edge pieces that are done more quickly and place on a paper-towel-lined platter. Continue baking until all pieces to your desired crispiness.Crumble half of the pieces and save the rest for another use.
- While meat is cooking or thawing, open all of your cans and drain the green, kidney, and pinto beans in a colander.
- Combine the pork n beans and all other beans in a large mixing bowl or in the crock or pan you intend to warm them in. Add salt, ketchup or tomato sauce, and brown sugar and gently stir.
- Add cooked ground beef.
- Set slow cooker on low for 2-4 hours or place in 350° oven covered for 45 minutes or simmer on stove top, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Top with crumbled bacon, transport to party, and serve.