This family favorite soup was last posted 10+ years ago, and now Zesty Potato Soup is getting an upgrade. Poblano and jalapeno peppers, creamy American cheese, and your favorite potatoes make this creamy, zippy soup a great Fall or Winter warm-up.
Whether you prefer to use the stove top or your Instant Pot, this soup will come together in well under an hour. The process is very similar: simply chop, sauté, boil, mash, and stir. It’s also easy to prepare some of the components ahead of time to speed up the process at dinnertime. Peel and cut your potatoes, and store them covered with water in the refrigerator until cooking time. The peppers can also be cut up to a day ahead. I like to use nitrile gloves when cutting jalapenos so the seeds and veins don’t cause burning on my fingers.
Don’t Drain Your Boiled Potatoes
The great flavor in this Zesty Potato Soup comes from more than the peppers and cheese. Carefully measuring the water used to boil the potatoes enables you to not drain away that flavor when the potatoes are softened. Simply mash, add the final ingredients, and enjoy the perfect consistency.
What Goes Good With Zesty Potato Soup?
Crusty bread with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, fresh cut vegetables and dip, or a crisp green salad all complement this soup. Other options include a charcuterie board or a sizzling grilled steak with this soup replacing a baked potato!
Zesty Potato Soup
- 6 each potatoes
- 2 T margarine or butter
- 1 each poblano pepper
- 1 each jalapeno pepper
- 1 T dried minced onion
- 2 each garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 c water
- 2 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 1 c milk
- 4 oz American cheese
- 1 T chicken bouillon granules
- Peel and dice potatoes and soak in water.
- Chop poblano and jalapeno peppers and sauté in margarine or butter in medium saucepan or Instant Pot. Add minced onion and garlic and cook 5-10 minutes until softened.
- Drain potatoes and measure 2 c water for adding into the pot.
- Drain potatoes and add to peppers, and measure 2 c water for cooking. Simmer on stove for 20-30 minutes or set Instant Pot for 15 minutes. Quick release steam if using pressure cooker.
- When potatoes are tender, DO NOT DRAIN. Mash potatoes and add salt, pepper, milk, cheese, and bouillon granules. Stir until cheese is melted and soup is creamy.
More favorite soups: