There is something about the flavor combination in Seven Layer Salad that makes this simple salad just POP with great taste. It’s a lettuce salad with a very specific mix of flavors that meld together for perfection.
- green onion
- shredded cheddar
This salad is best assembled a few hours ahead of time, then chilled until mealtime. Toss before serving, to get a little bit of dressing on all of the tasty ingredients.
The Assembly of Seven Layer Salad
Simply clean, chop, and place each of the vegetables and toppings into a deep bowl. I recommend using one with straight sides to ensure even layering. Put all of the green veggies in, layer by layer. Then, spread with your preferred choice of mayo or salad dressing. Finish off with a sprinkling of the cheese and bacon.
Use iceberg or romaine. Spin it out and dry thoroughly before placing it into the bowl.
Clean and trim. Cut lengthwise once or twice, then dice into small pieces.
Frozen is the only way to go. Sprinkle them right onto the veggie mix you have going.
Thin slices of both the white and green parts.
Nothing else added to it. You can choose Miracle Whip salad dressing if you prefer, but just use straight dollops of the white stuff and spread it all over the salad with a flexible spatula.
Or any shredded cheese of choice.
Cooked crispy and crumbled into small pieces.
Seven Layer Salad
- 4 c lettuce chopped
- 1/2 c peas frozen
- 1/2 c celery chopped
- 3 each green onions chopped
- 1/4 c mayonnaise
- 1/2 c cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 c bacon bits cooked, cooled, and crumbled
- Prior to making salad, ensure you have cooked bacon ready for crumbling onto it.
- Wash and dry lettuce, celery, and onions.
- Chop and measure all ingredients.
- Layer in a large bowl: lettuce, celery, peas, green onion.
- Dollop mayonnaise over the top of the vegetables and use a thin, flexible spatula to spread it all over.
- Top with shredded cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Cover and place into refrigerator until time to serve. Toss to combine and serve with tongs.