You know, options are endless when tossing food into the blender for a morning smoothie. This Almond Butter Kale Smoothie came into existence this morning because I washed up kale yesterday and happened to have almond butter right now. I routinely have frozen bananas. You can modify according to what is on hand and come up with some pretty tasty combinations.
The quantity of milk usually fluctuates a little bit, adding just enough to get all of the ingredients flowing rapidly so the smoothie gets smooth.
Almond Butter Kale Smoothie
- 3/4 c kale packed
- 3/4 c milk
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 1/2 T almond butter
- 1/2 scoop protein powder of your choice
- Place kale and half of the milk into blender container first and process until the kale is getting pureed. Add the remaining milk and continue processing.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth.
- Pour into a cup and serve with a straw!
- It's still a good idea to brush your teeth (or at least swish with a rinse) after drinking this smoothie that can leave behind bits of green evidence of your vegetable consumption!
More of my smoothie recipes:
Many variations can be made to these smoothies. You’re limited only by your taste buds and what you have on hand. Berries are a great addition to the almond butter kale smoothie or even in place of the almond butter. Also, spinach can be substituted for the kale. The key is to find a flavor balance that you love. Berries, bananas, and protein powder all serve to sweeten up the green vegetables.
Tell me what you like to put into your smoothies!